2008年10月19日 星期日

Journal #3 Searching A Workable Thesis Topic

For the past two weeks, I have been reading some of the thesis topics about translation. I searched the Electronic These and Dissertations System, Google, Google Scholar and also the theses of the seniors from AFL program. Actually I should have read through them thoroughly; however, I just read few pages from each chapter. I guess I will try harder when I find a potential topic.
The topics I have found interesting are “Differences in Simplification Between Literature Translations for Adults and for Children: A Corpus-based Study”, “A Study of Applying Portfolio Assessment in an Interpreter Training Course”, “The Lord of the Rings: Critique of the Two Chinese Translations” etc. I would always like to do something fun like “The Use of Irony in Relation to the Main Themes in Mario Puzo’s The Godfather.” I thought that would be terribly cool if I can do something like this. And perhaps something related to soap opera, situational comedy, movie etc would do. However, it is said that the only research we can do should related to “translation” and “teaching.” To be honest, I have no interest in teaching at all; therefore, the only choice for me is translation. But never mind, I do like translation sometimes. From time to time, I translate some cases from the AFL office, or any other offices. Well, they should have been proofread by someone more professional though.
Anyway, I should have read some more theses in order to really set up a workable topic.
Aller!!! Aller!!! Aller!!!

沒有留言: